Holiday Gift Guide 2015 - Accessories Kayak Fishing Edition
The holidays are fast approaching. Hearing a kayak angler try to explain gift ideas to their loved ones can be entertaining.
"Honey I need a Hawg Trough."
"You could get me a Mud Anchor."
"I really need a dogbone for my camera mount."
"How about an Assault Hand Paddle."
Kayak Fishing accessories come with some very descriptive names that could often be a little perplexing. With that in mind I thought a list, (not comprehensive) of possible gift ideas would be helpful for the uninitiated who've been tasked with shopping for an angler in their life.
Gift Guide Kayak Fishing Edition - 2015
1) The 30" Hawg Trough - Appomattox River Company's very own Hawg Trough. A simple and easy way to measure your catch. The standard for all CPR kayak fishing tournaments.
2) The Yak Attack Dogbone - I'm a fan of attaching the Dogbone to my Panfish Camera mounts to give me increased angles with my action cams. Most often paired with Panfish or Panfish Portrait mounts and Connectors.
3) The Assault Hand Paddle from Backwater Paddle Co. - Designed to assist the hunter and angler in maintaining kayak position by giving a one handed paddle option, I often use this little weapon for another reason. Piece of mind. I carry the Assault paddle in my kayak in case I come upon any unruly creatures, or need to quickly subdue my prey for transport to the dinner table.
4) Yak Attack LeverLoc Anchor Trolley - Once again, the boys down the street in Burkeville, VA have taken a kayak fishing staple and improved upon the design. This should be on everyone's list.
5) The Special Edition, Hooked Jackson Kayak, Werner Shuna Paddle - The classic High Angle stick from Werner comes with the GI Jackson graphics, making for one slick paddle.
6) The Immersion Research Zephyr L/S Paddle Jacket - This is a great all around paddling jacket for kayak fishing, or SUP. It's waterproof, lightweight and stylish. I can personally attest to it's comfort.
7) The NRS Chinook PFD - The Chinook has long been a favorite PFD among kayak anglers. It's now new and improved with some minor tweaks. The Chinook is loaded with 7 pockets for all your gear.
8) The Astral W's Linda PFD - The Linda is elegantly designed to handle the rigors of paddling and kayak fishing. The thin vent back is ideal for all the high back seats in today's kayaks. If you've got a lady angler on your list , this PFD is on point.
9) The Boonedox T-Bone Truck Bed Extender - Are there cheaper bed extenders out there? Yep, but I'll opt for high quality craftsmenship, Made in NC, every time. This has become the truck bed extender in kayak fishing. The boys from Boonedox make some outstanding stuff.
10) The Watershed Ocoee Dry Bag - There are always things you want to keep dry when paddling. Kayakers know the name Watershed. It carries a reputation for making top-of-the-line dry bags. Invest in the best.
11) The FeelFree Fish Bag Large - When you go to the grocery store, it's important to bring your own bag. Load the FeelFree fish bag with some ice, and try to catch some dinner. If you have a successful trip, you'll need a bag to bring back your food. These bags are slick.